Arthritis is not just one condition, but a group of musculoskeletal disorders involving joint inflammation. Our board-certified arthritis specialists treat various types of this chronic disease, including osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Common symptoms of arthritis include:
- Joint inflammation, redness or stiffness
- Decreased range of motion
Risk Factors of Arthritis
Factors that increase your risk of arthritis include:
- Family history
- Gender (women are more likely than men to suffer from arthritis)
- Previous joint injury
Additionally, wear and tear to joint cartilage and immune system dysfunction are also possible causes.
Depending on the type of arthritis, treatment can include:
- Medication (such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs)
- Alternative therapies
- Weight loss
- Surgery (including arthroscopy)
Dr. Brian Divelbiss explains more about thumb arthritis:
Dr. James Halloran explains ankle arthritis treatment options, symptoms and more: Call 913-319-7600 for more information.